THE FANTASY WRITER'S COMPANION:
How-to Reference by Dragon Moon Press.
Dragon Moon Press
follows its highly successful title, THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO WRITING
FANTASY, with a second volume of advice, examples, and resources
dedicated to helping you create your own epic fantasy adventure.
WRITER'S COMPANION, which has recently been finaled in the 2005
EPPIE Awards, takes on more advanced topics such as
incorporating mystery, developing a story in your favorite RPG universe,
and exploring alternative cultures for your worldbuilding. Check out
Julianne’s chapter about self-editing for fiction authors at the end!
1. Getting Your Act Together:
Structuring, Outlining, and Storyboarding a Project (or Overall
Consistency on Characters, Plots and Projects) – Lee Masterson
2. It's Like a Novel, Only Shorter: Writing Novellas and Story Stories –
3. Revoking Your Creative License: Mythbusting – Tina Morgan
4. Culture Shock: Oriental Cultures in Worldbuilding – Lai Zhao
5. The Art of Never Growing Up: Writing Fantasy for Children – Michael
6. Do You Like White or Dark Fantasy: Incorporating Horror – Tony
7. Crossing Over with Wen Spencer: Incorporating Mystery – Wen Spencer
8. It's Just Sex, For Crying Out Loud: Romance/Sex in Fantasy – Jeanine
9. Vampires, Trolls, and Werewolves Need Not Apply: Alternative Beasts –
10. Princes, Politicians, and The People's Voice: Government Structure –
11. Thinking Outside the Crystal Ball: Alternative Religions and Magic
Systems – Valerie Griswold-Ford
12. Fun with Foliage, Flowers, and Philodendrons: Herbalism in Fantasy –
13. Getting in Touch with Your Inner Fan: Writing in a Pre-Built Worlds
– Will McDermott
14. Beyond Swords, Stones, and Grails: Writing in Arthurian Legends –
15. Facing Your Harshest Critic: Self-Editing for Fiction Authors –
September of 2004. Order it now:
You can also view a sample of
the first couple pages of Julianne's article via this
WINTERGLAS: A Scandinavian folk
third daughter of the Isenkreüg, yearns for a gentler world far from
the harsh frozen tundra of the Nachtlund. When the Queen of the
forbidden Alfar offers her son in marriage, Annika must choose to stay
in the security of her father's fortress or follow her heart East of the
Sun, West of the Moon.
She was the original Cinderella....
Orphaned by thirteen and trained in the Thracian temple of Bacchus, young Doricha loses her most valuable possession because of the actions of a jealous priestess--her freedom. She is sold as a slave to the household of Iadmon and mentored by Aesop the Fabulist who schools her to use her awakening mind as well as her beauty to achieve her destiny. Doricha begins to hope
that one day, she can be truly free, but not even Aesop can protect her from the lusts of men.
The harsh world of classical Greece has little use for the minds of women, and after a series of brutal attacks, again Doricha finds her body traded to another owner, another man, who transports her to a new life of luxury and political intrigue in the faraway deserts of Egypt. All she has to do is be beautiful, all she has to do is love him, and she will be kept safe.
The problem is, Dori doesn't want to be kept--by any man. Not even the god-king Amasis, Pharaoh of Egypt.
From the ancient temple of the Bacchae to the exotic lands of Egypt where political intrigue
coils like a nest of asps, Doricha learns that fulfilling her father's dying wish that she live free is not about bands around her wrists so much as it is bands around her heart.
Based on persons and historical events of 26th dynasty Egypt, HETAERA fictionalizes the life of a most extraordinary woman who changed the world.
AND PROMISE: Can two hearts
overcome decades of lies and hatred to forge a love that will save the
Former Captain of the Guard turned mercenary
Jenner Al’Thorn has sworn to avenge his father’s death and win back
the most desirable woman in the Midlands--Kristiane Danai. He’ll do
anything to thwart the man that seduced her, even if that man is Nestor
sin’Mordrach, the High Ruler of the Midlands…and even if it means
helping a treacherous, fairy-born Seeker.
It’s been over twenty years since Ayrindale of
Clan Shento has seen her home. After a lifetime of being traded from
master to master, she vows to keep the High Ruler from an ancient
treasure that could enslave the whole world. Placing her trust
in a human man sworn to eliminate her kind is only the first of
many obstacles Ayrindale must overcome before she can truly be free.
Set in the lush fantasy world of the Midlands,
Ayrindale and Jenner race to find the mystic Sword of Truth before the
High Ruler destroys the world.